Skip to main content

Thinking About the Future of Comics

Jumping in my the first comic to catch my eye were the ones on Dr.Who. The basic premise of the stories is a ship of timelords just trying to survive. The only the reason I read this first is because I wanted to know the difference between the comics and television. It came as a surprise that the comics came out a year exactly after the show started to air. The style might have not been my cup of tea, but I definitely enjoyed the premise of the storyline, where it had started with the timelords, definitely would read more so I could have a better understanding of where they came from and why it all ended up with one left.

Hellboy is a hell of a comic, the story of Hellboy or his birthname "Anung Un Rama" is an intriguing story about a demon that fights against evil forces such as witches, nazis, and many other enemies. There is a slice of regret in not reading these comics until now. I don't know about you but I certainly love the art direction they are going with in the comics and the storyline itself. It was an intriguing in the first comic so far, I intend to read further then move onto the movies because right now I am missing out.

I have heard about the game, never played it but I have heard the execution of the its entirety with the visuals and story itself. Arkham Asylum in its comic version was an interesting read for me. Looking through it I was surprised in the direction that was taken, especially the difference in how certain characters stood out from each other when it came to the artist. The Joker's face was unsettling and looked like a brush had swiped over his face, Batman is the darkness so he is primarily a part of it throughout the comic where you can barely get a read on his face, and the rest of the characters just stand out from the rest with interesting facial features. That pulled me in including the story and its direction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I thought of "Understanding Comics"

Back before I moved from the United Kingdom to South America, as a child I had always taken an interest in comics, well just "The Simpsons" comics. This memory was easy to recall because whatever store had them in stock, I would buy every single week for at least two years straight. The point I am trying to make here is that if I had discovered comic book stores at a much younger age, my room would have been stacked to the point where I could have made a couch, not comfortable I might admit but definitely well built. Anyway after taking a dive into comic book stores by the time I was back in the United States, I was surprised by the vast amount of characters and designs, especially the construct of it. From the beginning to end of each comic book I read, I began to notice a different pattern which peaked my interest. Neglected to do any research in it, until now when I was introduced to "Understanding Comics" by Scott McCloud. From what I have read, Scott McC...

Opinions on Stereotypes and the Ethics of Representation

At first, I thought the choice of the protagonist for characters applied to comics, animations, and games to me through the years was diverse, but now it all seems a little dull after reading through it. Despite its overuse through those mediums, I cannot disagree that it is still necessary for the industry because that is how it has always been and people seem to have been fine with it. If you ask me, they can keep working with it as long as there are people are there trying to push away from those stereotypes and create something unique. As surprising as it sounds when it comes to my Peruvian background, I have not felt affected by any of this. Though there was one episode of South Park that made us out to be flute bands, there was nothing overly significant. But I cannot even begin to imagine the issues other ethnicities had to deal with over the years.