Skip to main content

A Perspective I Never Expected - Maus Book 1 & 2

As people have mentioned, "Maus" brought the graphic novel back into the literary marketplace, I finally understand the cause. Artie who is the son of Vladek comes home to find his father has a story of how he lived in Czestochowa. This of course turns into how he met his mother who back then had problems with depression which he ended up taking her to get treated. Upon this whole travel, he discovers that rise of nazism around Europe. His own factory is destroyed, he fights as a soldier but gets kidnapped, and through certain events everyone in the family from him to Anja's family are sent to concentration camps.

A lot happens that I can't even imagine people had to go through back then, lives are lost but Vladek and Anja manage to make it through everything. Leading to the future, it turns out Artie is somehow mad at his father for her mothers death, including that he burned all his mother's journals from the war. All in all, it was an interesting read and worthwhile, tragic but inspiring in a perspective of mouses instead of human beings.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I thought of "Understanding Comics"

Back before I moved from the United Kingdom to South America, as a child I had always taken an interest in comics, well just "The Simpsons" comics. This memory was easy to recall because whatever store had them in stock, I would buy every single week for at least two years straight. The point I am trying to make here is that if I had discovered comic book stores at a much younger age, my room would have been stacked to the point where I could have made a couch, not comfortable I might admit but definitely well built. Anyway after taking a dive into comic book stores by the time I was back in the United States, I was surprised by the vast amount of characters and designs, especially the construct of it. From the beginning to end of each comic book I read, I began to notice a different pattern which peaked my interest. Neglected to do any research in it, until now when I was introduced to "Understanding Comics" by Scott McCloud. From what I have read, Scott McC...

Opinions on Stereotypes and the Ethics of Representation

At first, I thought the choice of the protagonist for characters applied to comics, animations, and games to me through the years was diverse, but now it all seems a little dull after reading through it. Despite its overuse through those mediums, I cannot disagree that it is still necessary for the industry because that is how it has always been and people seem to have been fine with it. If you ask me, they can keep working with it as long as there are people are there trying to push away from those stereotypes and create something unique. As surprising as it sounds when it comes to my Peruvian background, I have not felt affected by any of this. Though there was one episode of South Park that made us out to be flute bands, there was nothing overly significant. But I cannot even begin to imagine the issues other ethnicities had to deal with over the years.

My Thoughts on Underground Comics

Underground comics as I’ve learned in this class consisted of comics that weren’t sold in stores or markets are whatever was considered a legal selling point. Unlike the ones that were sold in stores, underground comics were considered very inappropriate, implicating anything sexual, racial, violent, and much more that I couldn’t even begin to describe. Just from reading a few comics both from online and from Steilins personal stack of comics, it was clear that some points such a violence rained heavily into one issue than others. Starting with a story from the comic Mystic Funnies, “The Hipman” introduced insults towards people’s appearances, revealing clothing, and a lot of inappropriate comments passed back and forth. To be frank I was fine with reading this because it all least portrayed a women’s strength at some points, but I get that publications wouldn’t have let that and the appearances fly back then. “Don’t Tempt Fate” proceeded with moments of blood, beatings, and vandaliz...